Here is our easy 'How to Join' audition process
We are excited to know that you may wish to join our choir! There are several ways for you to find out more and even experience BC Girls Choir before you audition. Just choose the option that is best for you:
1) Come to our Welcome to Choir Day on Saturday, September 7th.
- If you like what you see, we will then audition your daughter during our following audition days in September
- Contact us if you wish to participate on September 7th. We want to welcome you personally!
2) Attend any one of our regular rehearsals throughout the year. These 'Free Trial Rehearsal' days are a great way to observe and even join in. You can then decide if our choir is right for you. Depending on the time of year, you may be able to audition right away. Or you may need to wait until the next 'intake' month: September or January.
3) Be our guest! We will offer you two complimentary tickets to one of our concerts. If you enjoy our performance and wish to audition, we will sign you up for the next audition day. Our next concert is WinterSong, Saturday November 23. Following that, will be our formal evening concert on Saturday, December 14.
4) Join our SpringSing Choir - for girls in grades 4 to 7. This short-term choral program, next spring 2020, is a great way to experience what being a BC Girls Choir singer is like. You will even perform with our choir! Then you can audition right away for our 2020 - 2021 season.
5) Sign up for an audition right away. Next Audition Day is Friday, September 6th. More audition days will be added for September. Check back soon for details.
Whichever way you want to find out more about joining, we are here to help. Here are a few audition details:
For singers entering grades 1 to 3: The audition is really a low-key, friendly vocal assessment. The singer’s voice is assessed for its health and range. A short ear-training exercise will determine whether the singer can match pitch, repeat rhythms when clapped and identify “high” and “low”. She may be asked to sing an easy song like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star or Happy Birthday. No previous choral experience is required.
For singers entering grades 4 to 7: The singer’s voice is assessed for its health and range. The candidate should expect to sing easy scales and repeat short musical phrases & rhythms. She will be asked to sing O Canada in E flat Major (starting note is the G above middle C). No previous choral experience is required; however, the ability to match pitch is essential.
For singers entering grades 8 to 12: The singer’s voice is assessed for its health and range. The candidate should expect to sing scales and repeat short musical phrases & rhythms. The ability to sight-read short melodies and sing harmony parts is an asset, as this level often sings in four or more parts; therefore, previous choral and/or instrumental experience is also an asset. The singer will be asked to sing O Canada in E flat Major (starting note is the G above middle C). If the singer needs more experience and training, she may enter our Junior Level III choir (Arietta) until she is comfortable, confident and musically ready to move to Senior Level I choir (Bella Voce).
Expect the audition process to take approximately 45 minutes, including the vocal assessment and a short meeting for the parent(s).